Glass Block Pumpkin
I was scanning Pinterest last week for a good Halloween DIY project, and this is what I found.
Glass Block Pumpkin
After coming across a couple different pins that pictured either a glass block with a jack o’ lantern face on it, or a saying with orange tulle wrapped around the block, I decided to mix the two. Unfortunately, I can’t find either pin after searching for more than 15 minutes!
So, every time I’ve gone to Hobby Lobby, it’s usually for scrapbooking or jewelry materials, but in the same area I always see their Kraft Blocks. I have never had a need for them until I saw this project on Pinterest. When I walked up to the register with one of their smaller Kraft Blocks in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised that they were part of their “glass products” that were on sale at 50% off at the time! So surprised that after walking out to my car with my glass block, I decided not only to make a glass block pumpkin for myself, but also for my mother and my mother-in-law, who I knew would love them! So I rushed back into Hobby Lobby and bought two more Kraft Blocks.
After arriving home with 3 glass blocks, a package of green pipe cleaners, 3 sets of 20 lights with white wire, and 2 yards of orange tulle, I got to work on my project. I already had the black vinyl that I also used with this project.
The first thing I did was get the jack o’ lantern faces cut out. I searched the internet for pumpkin cut out templates and found one that I thought was pretty cute and ended up using it for all three of my pumpkins. I printed out the template and cut out each individual piece to trace them with a pencil onto the vinyl.
Once I had the vinyl pieces cut out, I placed them onto each block and started to stuff the light sets into each block. Because I had already pretty much destroyed the boxes the lights came in, I didn’t want to be “that guy” that returns things that look like they’ve gone through the being played with by a 2 year old, and then chewed on by a dog. If I hadn’t destroyed the boxes already, I would have brought the light sets back and exchanged them for the 35 lights sets. Even the smaller Kraft Block doesn’t seem to light up as bright as I would have hoped with only a 20 light set.
Once I started working with the tulle to wrap the blocks, I started to really get frustrated! I did two layers of tulle and let me tell you: it is very hard to get two pieces that are even somewhat similar in size, let alone get them to line up with one another! Tulle sticks to everything, most of all, another piece of tulle. I think it took me about 30 minutes to finally get the first pumpkin done because of the tulle not behaving!! I don’t think I will ever use tulle again for any other project!
After I finally managed to wrangle the the tulle, I first tried wrapping the top of the tulle with a green pipe cleaner. But, it just didn’t look quite right. So, I searched my ribbon for some 1/2″ brown ribbon I knew I had from a craft project I worked on in the past. I tied a bow to secure the tulle on the top of the block and it looked much better to me. Finally, I wrapped a green pipe cleaner around a pen to get the spiral and stuck one end into the ribbon to put the finishing touches on the pumpkin.
Here is the finished product!